plan

now browsing by tag

 
 

How COVID-19 case rates will affect each Minnesota school district’s reopening plan | #coronavirus | #kids. | #children | #parenting | #parenting | #kids

Minnesota’s guidelines for how public schools can operate during the upcoming school year, which were announced Thursday, can be summed up in two words: it’s complicated. The ultimate decision about […] View full post on National Cyber Security

#nationalcybersecuritymonth | Merkel Plan for Huawei Gets Pushback From Within Her Own Ranks By Bloomberg

Source: National Cyber Security – Produced By Gregory Evans

© Reuters. Merkel Plan for Huawei Gets Pushback From Within Her Own Ranks

(Bloomberg) — Chancellor Angela Merkel’s efforts to rule out a ban on Huawei Technologies Co. have hit a wall of resistance in parliament.

While the U.K. and the European Union introduced policies that allow Huawei’s partial participation in next-generation wireless networks, Merkel has failed to forge a compromise with lawmakers in her Christian Democratic-led bloc who want to ban China’s biggest maker of telecommunications gear, according to three officials familiar with the process. Attempts to reach an agreement last week failed and will be resumed later in February.

The stalemate reflects Merkel’s difficulty in asserting control in a standoff that pits trade interests with China against security concerns raised by Washington and her own intelligence agencies. Open dissent such as that over the 5G policy is uncommon in Merkel’s otherwise disciplined CDU. Since the 65-year-old former physicist announced over a year ago that she wouldn’t run for a fifth term, she has withdrawn from domestic politics and her agenda has at times been overshadowed by a power struggle to succeed her.

Read More:

  • BMW China 2019 Vehicle Sales Rise 13% to Record 723,680 Units
  • Merkel’s Partner Wants to Forget Talk of Ditching Coalition
  • Germany Lifts Economic Outlook, But Says Better Is Needed (1)

The security concerns over Beijing’s potential influence over Huawei are shared by many in her allied Social Democratic party and in the Foreign Ministry. Yet the balancing act is proving difficult for Merkel and her government, which are torn between an allegiance for a traditional ally and the risk of antagonizing and isolating Germany’s largest trading partner by shutting out Chinese technology.

“I call on us not to slip into a new form of bi-polarity,” Merkel said in a speech last month in Berlin. “Rather we must try, with the results and experiences we have around multilateralism, to include a country like China and at least treat it on the same terms.”

Yet skeptics accuse Merkel of adhering to an outdated geopolitical view that Chinese economic development would spur political reform and a convergence of the world’s most populous nation with international standards and norms.

“Merkel is stuck with an idea of China that is 10 years old,” Nils Schmid, a senior SPD lawmaker on the Bundestag foreign affairs committee, said in an interview last week.

A group of Bundestag lawmakers is standing by a bill drafted in December that would exclude “untrustworthy” equipment vendors from the whole network, a clear reference to Huawei and a break from last week’s decisions in London and Brussels that defied U.S. demands to exclude Huawei. The U.K. said that Huawei would be allowed access to the periphery of 5G networks, but not the core — a principle that Merkel’s chancellery had agreed to late last year in a concession to hawks.

Smoking Gun

The hard-liners got a boost last week, when Handelsblatt reported on a classified document from the Foreign Ministry containing U.S. intelligence linking Huawei to Chinese security services, or a “smoking gun.” The ministry declined to comment on the report.

U.S. Deputy National Security Adviser Matthew Pottinger led a delegation to Berlin in December and another to London last month as part of a Trump administration effort to warn the Europeans about Chinese technology and to alert them that intelligence-sharing across the North Atlantic is at risk.

Such warnings haven’t convinced the French government. France’s cybersecurity chief said his agency hasn’t uncovered any evidence of Huawei snooping via Europe’s communications networks.

“There is no Huawei smoking gun as of today in Europe,” Guillaume Poupard, the head of the national cybersecurity agency ANSSI, said in an interview last week. “There is no situation with Huawei being caught massively spying in Europe. Elsewhere maybe it’s different, but not in Europe.”

Merkel will now have to seek a compromise with lawmakers in the Bundestag, which reconvenes Feb. 10.

Disclaimer: Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. All CFDs (stocks, indexes, futures) and Forex prices are not provided by exchanges but rather by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual market price, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Therefore Fusion Media doesn`t bear any responsibility for any trading losses you might incur as a result of using this data.

Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.

Source link

The post #nationalcybersecuritymonth | Merkel Plan for Huawei Gets Pushback From Within Her Own Ranks By Bloomberg appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

#nationalcybersecuritymonth | UK Has a Plan to Corral Huawei. But Security Concerns Linger

Source: National Cyber Security – Produced By Gregory Evans The UK government ruled Tuesday that Chinese telecom giant won’t be banned outright from selling equipment for mobile 5G networks there, though it will face severe limits. The question is: Will the restrictions provide the security protections that policymakers want? The decision is the latest in […] View full post on AmIHackerProof.com

#cyberfraud | #cybercriminals | Mecosta County Deputy Jared Christensen announces plan to run for sheriff

Source: National Cyber Security – Produced By Gregory Evans

Purcell won’t seek re-election

Published


BIG RAPIDS — Jared Christensen, a deputy with the Mecosta County Sheriff’s Office and chief of police with the village of Morley, will be entering the race for the office of Mecosta County Sheriff in the 2020 election.

Christensen, 38, of Big Rapids, announced his plans to run for office on the Republican ticket after learning Todd Purcell, the current sheriff in Mecosta County, will not be seeking re-election this year.

“There has been talk that the seat may be open in the upcoming election, and several people have approached me in the last few months and asked that I consider running for sheriff,” Christensen said. “After dozens of conversations with community leaders, business owners and a great cross-section of local residents, I am excited to lead the sheriff’s department into the new decade.”

Purcell confirmed he will not be running for sheriff in 2020 after Christensen issued a news release declaring his entrance in the race and some of his goals if he is elected.

“This is my 29th year here in this office serving Mecosta County, and I feel it’s time to pass the torch and move on to new things,” Purcell said. “At this point, I’m not supporting anyone in the race, but that may change after the filing deadline.”

Although excited about running for the office of sheriff, Christensen said he has enjoyed his time working with Purcell.

“I’ve had a great working relationship with the sheriff’s office since I’ve been there,” Christensen said. “I’ve also enjoyed working with Todd. He’s always had an open-door policy.”

As Christensen gears up for election season, he said he is ready to take on new challenges.

“It’s always exciting to do something new. I feel like I’ve worked with the best people in the business, and hopefully we can continue to make things better,” he said.

While Christensen has many goals for the position if he is elected, he said one of his top concerns is bringing a renewed community focus to the department.

“I’d like to see us more human-oriented,” he said. “I’d like to reach out more to the community to see what they think about laws that change and how it affects their lives.”

One way Christensen said he hopes to accomplish this goal of resident interaction is by establishing a Citizen’s Academy, where people can learn more about local law enforcement.

“By involving the community members in our sheriff’s office, we will learn from them, and they will learn how they can help to keep their communities safe,” he said.

In addition to working more with the public, Christensen said his campaign will focus on combating the “crimes of today,” including cyber crimes, the drug epidemic and scams.

“As technology changes, everything changes with it. We see a lot of cyber crimes, and my goal with that is to update the way we enforce laws, as far as the technology we have and training,” he said.

Christensen said while part of his goal is to improve the way officers search for offenders, he also hopes to find ways to stop people from committing additional crimes.

“In the coming years and beyond, we will see new crimes and find new ways to fight them,” he said. “That means we have to focus on reform. We must reform the way we search out offenders and bring them to justice — but with that, we also have to find ways to reform offenders and offer them the support they need to avoid becoming a repeat offender.”

Kevin Lamb, a local business owner and Mecosta County resident, said he is excited to support Christensen’s campaign.

“He is a family-man who has a long track record of keeping our community safe while being fair and just when applying the law,” Lamb said.

Christensen resides in Mecosta Township with his wife and their three children. He said in his free time he enjoys fishing, golfing and farming.

According to the Mecosta County Clerk’s Office, no one has formally filed to run for sheriff yet.

Source link

The post #cyberfraud | #cybercriminals | Mecosta County Deputy Jared Christensen announces plan to run for sheriff appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

#cyberfraud | #cybercriminals | New plan to protect phones from scams

Source: National Cyber Security – Produced By Gregory Evans

All mobile phone numbers will be shielded against scammers under a federal government crackdown on illegal “porting”, which each year costs thousands of victims $10,000-plus.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Communications Minister Paul Fletcher will force small telecommunications companies to close a loophole that lets cyber-crooks steal the numbers of consumers contracted to any provider before seeking to clear out bank accounts.

The telcos will have to add an extra layer of protection to the process of porting, which is when a mobile service is moved from one provider to another.

This will stop scammers who have obtained a person’s online banking login details from being able to steal money.

In an all too common rort, scammers port a target’s mobile number into their control, which allows them to input the security code sent to phones when cash transfer requests are made.

Paul Fletcher wants to fight fraudsters with technology. Picture: AAP Image/Lukas Coch

Mr Fletcher said the additional safeguard had already been adopted by Telstra, Optus, Vodafone and others, but the “government expects all telcos to pull their weight”.

Unless all players act, every mobile phone customer is exposed, because scammers can port to a provider that isn’t doing the added check.

“There are still some smaller operators which are not yet implementing this extra layer of safety which creates an opportunity for criminals and a vulnerability for Australians,” Mr Fletcher told The Telegraph.

He has directed the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) to make new rules mandating stronger identity checks before numbers can be transferred.

“I want Australians to be confident that every telco has put in place strong verification processes to stop fraudulent mobile number porting and the devastating consequences it can have for victims,” Mr Fletcher said.

His move signals the start of the government’s Scam Technology Project, which will be led by the ACMA and involve experts from major telcos, with the goal of developing tech-based solutions to combat fraudsters.

“If criminals are using technology to scam Australians, we need to make sure we are using technology to fight back,” Mr Fletcher said.

“Criminals will continue to look for new ways to rip off Australians using the telephone system. That is why tackling telecommunications scams is a priority.”

One in three people whose number is unlawfully ported suffer a financial loss which averages $11,400.

Source link

The post #cyberfraud | #cybercriminals | New plan to protect phones from scams appeared first on National Cyber Security.

View full post on National Cyber Security

Law #firms plan to #bolster #cyber security

Source: National Cyber Security – Produced By Gregory Evans

Law #firms plan to #bolster #cyber security

Law firms plan to bolster cyber security
More than 40% of law firms are planning spend more on cyber security in the next 12 months as the legal profession is targeted more frequently.

Robert Half Legal says that its recent survey of law firms in the US shows that firms are taking the issue of protecting sensitive information very seriously and advises that this should involve IT professionals as well as the latest software defences.

“As evidenced by recent news headlines, data security breaches are becoming more frequent and sophisticated,” said Jamy Sullivan, executive director of Robert Half Legal. “Law firms, in particular, are targets for cyber criminals due to the high volume of sensitive information they maintain, so they are investing significant resources to develop robust defenses.”

The average increased spend on cyber security based on respondents to the survey is 13%.

Ashurst considering Luxembourg office
As post-Brexit Britain crawls ever closer, another international law firm is weighing its options.

Ashurst is considering expanding on its Luxembourg desk by opening an office in the small European nation which is an important financial centre despite its diminutive stature.

The firm’s Luxembourg desk is currently part of its London City practice and headed by partner Isabelle Lentz, a former partner from Luxembourg firm Oostvogels Pfister Feyten.

According to a report in LegalWeek, Ashurst is reviewing its options but has made no decision yet.

Charity swim around HK for Herbert Smith Freehills manager
Herbert Smith Freehills’ learning and development manager is to swim around Hong Kong Island for charity.

Simon Holliday will undertake the 45km endurance challenge with the aim of completing it non-stop in under 17 hours, setting a new world record to raise HK$1 million for Splash, which helps people from disadvantaged backgrounds to learn to swim.

The only person to have completed the challenging route so far is Australian Olympian Linda McGill 41 years ago.

Lawyers force pause on Vegas shooter’s hotel room
Lawyers acting for one of the victims of the Las Vegas shooting which killed 58 people and injured 546, have won an important court decision to protect vital evidence.

The Nettles Law Firm is acting for Rachel Shepperd, who suffered three gunshot wounds when a gunman opened fire on the Route 91 Harvest Festival from a hotel room at MGM.

Judge Mark Denton has granted a Temporary Restraining Order to prevent the room being sanitized or changed before victims’ representatives have been able to inspect it.

“The ruling means MGM is on notice that there will be serious legal consequences if evidence currently in their possession is altered, discarded, lost, destroyed or otherwise disappears,” said attorney James Lee. “This also applies to evidence outside the hotel room.”

The law firm has filed suit against MGM Resorts International, Mandalay Corp and Live Nation Entertainment alleging proper security by MGM would have prevented the mass shooting.

The allegation has not been proven in court.

The post Law #firms plan to #bolster #cyber security appeared first on National Cyber Security Ventures.

View full post on National Cyber Security Ventures

Ransomware and cyber-attacks: We need a defence plan, says Europe

Source: National Cyber Security – Produced By Gregory Evans

The European Union (EU) has detailed how it intends to improve its cyber defences in the face of rising ransomware attacks, cyber-crime and online meddling by other nations. “With the recent ransomware attacks, a dramatic rise in cyber-criminal activity, state actors increasingly using cyber tools to meet their geopolitical goals and…

The post Ransomware and cyber-attacks: We need a defence plan, says Europe appeared first on National Cyber Security Ventures.

View full post on National Cyber Security Ventures

Trump approves Obama-era plan for a more independent US Cyber Command

Source: National Cyber Security – Produced By Gregory Evans

President Trump has given the go-ahead for a plan dating from the Obama administration to elevate US Cyber Command to the level of Unified Combatant Command, giving it more operational independence from the National Security Agency. The statement also raised the possibility of splitting off CyberCom from the NSA entirely….

The post Trump approves Obama-era plan for a more independent US Cyber Command appeared first on National Cyber Security Ventures.

View full post on National Cyber Security Ventures

LOSD creates detailed plan to keep kids safe

To Purchase This Product/Services, Go To The Store Link Above Or Go To http://www.become007.com/store/ Lake Oswego School District has worked with police, fire officials to forge a comprehensive strategy for emergency response. For many years, the Lake Oswego School District has had emergency plans and procedures in place for dealing…

The post LOSD creates detailed plan to keep kids safe appeared first on Become007.com.

View full post on Become007.com

China releases emergency response plan for cyber security incidents

Source: National Cyber Security – Produced By Gregory Evans

People’s Daily China reported that the Office of the Central Leading Group for Cyberspace Affairs has released a new emergency response plan for Internet security incidents on June 27. The plan is intended to “improve handling of cybersecurity incidents, prevent and reduce damage, protect the public interest and safeguard national…

The post China releases emergency response plan for cyber security incidents appeared first on National Cyber Security Ventures.

View full post on National Cyber Security Ventures